Sunday, February 3, 2008

StuperBowl


All Things Considered, January 27, 2001 · Sixteen of the men taking the field in tomorrow's Super Bowl have rap sheets. Sports Illustrated editor Don Yaeger estimates one in five NFL players have been charged with a serious crime. Yaeger talks to Host Lisa Simeone about how the NFL is dealing with its troubled players. She'll also speak with Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots about the expectations he has when his players are off the field.
...nuff said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Invisa-Gal. Thanks for linking to this long-ago interview I did when I was hosting Weekend All Things Considered at NPR. It's an interview that almost never got on the air. As you can imagine, the resistance in this culture to exposing the dirty little secret of criminality in sports is powerful.

I also wrote an op-ed for the Baltimore Sun on the same topic, and had to fight the Old Boys' Network tooth and nail to get it published. And they still watered it down! The link is no longer up on their website (pay-only archives), but if you give me a contact email address, I can send the text to you. (I don't want to publish my email address here for all to see.)

People worship at the altar of sports -- one is considered some kind of sinner for daring to criticize it, the entire culture of privilege it exemplifies -- and as long as that's the case, nothing will change.

Invisi-Gal said...

Hi Lisa,
A kindred spirit!
I thought it was important to publish your article no matter how dated, the message is still current.

By the way, you can send me a comment and include your email address in body of the email, I will not publish it.
I would like to have further dialogue with you...on my radio show.