Thursday, February 28, 2008

How do we Cope now?







I guess you have to be a Pittsburgher to understand how sad we are to have lost Myron Cope.



I have attached his obit for you, dear readers, in case you want to read it.







In a strange way, Myron is responsible for the jumpstart of my voice-over career.
It was my first of many encounters with him.


I was working at a studio in '81 , when in zoomed Myron, with his ever-present cigarette (it was an exercise in futility to ever ask him to put it out). He said "Hello dearie..." and zipped downstairs to the audio booth to do a voice-over for a commercial.


When he walked back out 15 minutes later, he did a funny little strut , with his feet turned out like a duck. He looked back at me and said "You know what this is?"




"No, what?", I said, not quite sure what he meant by "what".




"This.... is the going-to-the-bank-walk.", he said as he duck-strutted out the door.




I sat in silence, running that one over and over in my head. I picked up the phone and dialed into the studio. I asked the engineer what kind of dough Myron just raked in for 15 minutes worth of rasp. He gave me his educated guess.




My eyes got big.


I decided that was the job for me.




Now, 27 years later, everytime I walk out of a studio after a voice-over session, I do the same walk and chuckle.




Thanks Myron.









...by the way, I don't really think he ever did what he did for the money, he did it because it was in his heart, he had no choice.









......

No comments: