Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What the F?


Okay this is by far the most bizarre exchange I have had with another human being in a LONG LONG time.


First of all, I must start this story by saying I am a white female, and I happen to be wearing a black coat.


I was in the Giant Eagle today shopping in the dairy section, when I forgot something and had to turn around and blast back to the yogurt case. So, I spin my cart around, kinda demo derby-like 'cause for once in my life as a consumer, I didn't get the gimpy wheel cart.

Now granted, I was returning on the wrong side, meaning the left side against the supermarket traffic (is there such a thing?).


An elderly black women walking towards me, directly in my path, said, "You're like the black Mariah."


Of course my mind goes to Mariah Carey. I politely laugh at this wierd comment and keep charging towards the yogurt.


Several aisles later I do a "Wait a minute..." moment and think, what the hell did that mean?


Isn't Mariah Carey part black? Aren't I completely white? What does she mean by Black Mariah?


Was she just daffy?


Later at home, after I put the groceries away, I look up black Mariah on the internet.


According to the Urban Dictionary:



1.
black maria

Police prisoner transport vehicle. Also black maria or paddy wagon.This is the spelling used in the Tom Waits song "Big Black Mariah":
"Here come the big black mariah, here come that big black Ford"



Soooo, that woman called me a paddy wagon ....I must have looked like one racing down the yogurt aisle.


Stranger yet, I actually drive a big black Ford.


But, how did she know?



Invisi-Gal too unnerved by the strangeness of it all to be mad about being called a paddy wagon.



WTF?


...

No comments: