Wednesday, June 4, 2008


Invisi-moment at Borders Books today. I am really invisible when I travel with my 11 year old son. I am stealth, in my middle aged homogenized outfit.


You know how there is music always playing over the PA at Borders? Well I hear what sounds totally like Steve Winwood, but I want to be sure, so I ask the clerk with the hair badly sprayed in white streaks, and wearing all black and jingling chains and buckles that don't seem to be connecting or holding up anything....


"Excuse me, can you tell me who that is playing over your PA system?"


She looks me up and down, sizes me up, and then speaks into her headset to some person of knowledge and shoots back at me, "It's Elvis Costello."


"Elvis Costello ?", I question, "Wow, it doesn't sound anything like him, it really sounds like Steve Winwood. Are you sure it's Elvis Costello?"



Then I get the look.

Invisi-Gal hates this look.


It means, how the hell do you know who Elvis Costello is, aren't you from the John Tesh fan club?


I march away with my son in tow ( he knows that march) to find the person of knowledge at the info desk and inquire as to who is playing on the PA system.


She perkily says,"Steve Winwood, it's his new CD."


My first impulse is to head back to Streak Head and wave the Steve Winwood CD through the air and say while barking out, "Hey it's not Elvis Costello, it's Steve Winwood,just like I thought, maybe you had a bad connection on your headset due to all that non-essential metal on your body, but anyhoo by golly, thanks!"


Just then I hear my son's voice cut through my fantasy to declare, "Hey mom, you were right, that is Steve Winwood, go Mom!"


I walk away in transparent victory, the moment is mine. I spend the afternoon listening to the new Steve Winwood CD and playing my Nintendo .


Who's hip now?



....

No comments: