Saturday, February 21, 2009


You know how we all have theme songs?


Every presidential election I sing the Who's "We Won't Get Fooled Again"...just for laughs.


Sometimes when I'm in a serious diet mood, I get a song in my head to keep me going , like "Dreamworld" by Rilo Kiley...hmmm something hidden in that one maybe?


Our theme songs sleep deep inside us and come out when we need them most.I've been thinking about my dad's theme song, mostly because I've been thinking about my dad and how sick he is and how he may not be with us much longer.When I sing this song, I feel closer to him and the song itself just makes me feel good when I sing it..


One time when my dad , my sister and I were driving through Philly on the way to the shore, we got into a great music conversation...I think it was after he sang all the wrong lyrics to Evil Ways by Santana (yeah this was the 70's) , he loved Santana, it was modern big band to him and it felt upbeat with all the Latin rhythms.I told him I liked the band Chicago and he agreed they were great too, lots of horns....boys raised up in the 30's and 40's LOVED horn bands, in particular my dad, who wanted to be a sax player in a big band. But that's a whole other story.


He changed the channel to a station in Philly that plays Sinatra all day or anyone that sounds like Sinatra...amazing...my sister and I were captive until Jersey.


When the channel came in , "On A Clear Day" was playing.

My dad sat up straight at attention and declared, "That's my theme song, I picked it the day I quit smoking"... now I'm in the back seat wondering if a smoking lecture was on the agenda and trying to detect if he found my cigarettes in my flower power suitcase..."I threw the cigarettes in the garbage and never had another one, cold turkey, that's what I did, cold turkey..." he said chest thrustingly and he proceeded to sing along.


That song really sums up my dad and when I look at the lyrics (beautifuly written by Jay Lerner), I can see them in how my dad lived his life; with an optimistic spark and lots of VOLUME!


I can't help but think how strange it is that Anthony-Robbins-by-God never picked up on this one..what a song of self empowerment...it's almost a New Age anthem in it's speak...


I guess the bottom line is that a good lyric is timeless and this song says exactly what it needs to say...and I can't stop singing it.


So thanks to my dad for putting this incredible sentiment in my head for all time.


Now I'd like to share it with you, may you have many a clear day:


On A Clear Day by Burton Lane and Alan Jay Lerner


On a clear dayRise and look around you

And you'll see who you are.

On a clear dayHow it will astound you

That the glow of your being outshines ev'ry star.


You'll feel part of ev'ry mountain sea and shore.

You can hear, from far and near,

A world you've never heard before.

And on a clear day...On that clear day...

You can see forever and ever more!


[interlude]

You'll feel part of ev'ry mountain sea and shore.

You can hear, from far and near,

A world you've never heard before.

And on a clear day...On that clear day...


You can see forever...And ever... And ever...And ever more!



...

No comments: