Monday, January 26, 2009

7am.


OmiGod, it's my cell phone ringing....I don't want to answer it, but I'm scared not to, I just got back from visiting my father in the hospital (my sister is there now) and I'm making plans to head back, and I'm frightened they are calling to say he has passed away....


Me: "Hello?"


Caller: breathy male "What are you doing?"


Me: groggy "What?"


Caller: "What are you doing?"

By now I am searching my brain data base to recognize the voice of the caller, and I'm still groggy...but I'm getting the drift that it AIN'T THE HOSPITAL...


Me: "Who is this?" (dumb, dumb question)


Caller: "Who do you think it is?"


Me : noting his heaving breathing..."What?"


Caller: "What are you doing?"


Me: "You have the wrong number"


Caller: "I'm sorry..." CLICK.... I hang up.....


Okay, so as you have guessed, it was a would-be obscene phone call. It's been so long since I've had one, I forgot to tell the guy what an impotent voyeur he is and then whistle that loud whistle I learned at Pirate games in his sick pale ear.


Maybe the fact that he said "I'm sorry", threw me off because it could've been some guy calling his girlfriend to "wake her up" and got the wrong number...and had I been on my game and not so anxious that it was the hospital, I might have given him a great story to tell his girlfriend.


But that didn't happen, and I'm glad it wasn't the hospital, and next time I'll be sure to rock it with the whistle...and that, was my morning...how was yours?


...

No comments: